Monday, June 20, 2011

Utrecht Demo - Featuring Allan Chow

First of all,  I would like to thank Utrecht and their generous and always helpful staff for sponsoring this great opportunity for local Artists. I think this is an important venue that give the community an opportunity to meet the Artist and also to get a sneak peek at their Artistic process. I am at the store sometimes three times a week. I absolutely love their products especially their oil colors. As a thick and heavy paint user, I find that their consistency and colors does the job and more. Anyway, I promised that I would post the final painting when I am done so here it is. Please read on.
I started out with a canvas with a drawing in mind. Here I am establishing my values with a monochromatic palette. This gives me an opportunity to redraw my composition if any adjustments are necessary. Most importantly, this process gives me an clear idea where the lighting comes from in my painting. My exuberant use of color follows after every single inch of white space is covered.
The process between my drawing and the almost finished painting is by far the most interesting. For this demonstration, I was indeed nervous because I was exposing the struggles and triumphs as the painting develops. I definitely had my downs during the demo but I think overall the crowd understands that this is no magic. I tried my best to make it as interesting as possible and demos like these forces me to think and make quick decisions after another. Three hours later, above is the painting in progress.
After another few hours in my studio, this is the final product. A painting that will feature in my next exhibit at the Kansas City Club (914 Baltimore) in July 2011, next month! Stay tuned!!! Thanks for tuning in and below are some opportunities to see me paint again in public! Stop by if you can.

Upcoming Demos:
This Friday, June 24th - Artichokes (105th & Mission) 6-9p.m.
Saturday, June 25th - Utrecht Store (Main Street) 1-3p.m.

No comments: